If ranking number 1 city for bed bugs wasn’t enough, Toronto has also ranked number 1 as the rattiest city in Canada according to a recent survey.
Many cities in Canada were ranked from August 1, 2022 to July 31, 2023 by Orkin, and for the second year in a row, Toronto has won number one, just beating out the other big cities, Vancouver and Ottawa.
The top 5 cities in Canada with the most rats are as follows:
With Toronto being Canada’s capital city and the county’s biggest city, it’s no surprise that it was ranked number one for rattiness. In a report by Orkin in 2022, they uncovered why the rat population was growing and chalked it up to the pandemic while the city of Toronto has been anaylzing data reports on the rat population in recent years, and it’s getting worse.
Orkin is reminding residents how to prevent pests with the following methods:
- Trim the Trees: Landscaping can be a big-rodent attractant. Keep shrubbery cut back at least one meter from the exterior walls of your home to eliminate any hiding spots for rodents and to avoid giving them a “jumping off” point.
- Cut Off the Water: Eliminate any moisture sources, necessary for pests’ survival, such as clogged gutters or water gathering in trash or recycling bins.
- Inspect both inside and outside your property for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better.
- Close the Gap: Look for possible entry points outside the home, seal all cracks larger than 1/4 of an inch and install weather strips at the bottom of exterior doors.
- Keep your property clean, inside and out. Clean up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen to avoid leaving food residue or sugary substances that can attract rodents. Store all food (including pet food) in tightly-sealed containers like plastic bins, and never leave food or dishes sitting out overnight.